Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Brrrr Explained.

I haven't posted for a few reasons that I will spare you, but I will truthfully claim to have been busy enough to forget about finding something awesome. That and I had to go home from a place of awesome. /pout

But explaining the post from the seventh:

It was super cold and we walked through Chicago a small bit to get to the Art Institute of Chicago. It was cold and I had forgotten my winter hat and gloves, so I had just my fingerless gloves and scarf. It was windy and cold and slushy and a bit slippery and cold. It was cold. Point made. Moving on. Cold.

We got to the museum in time for the free hours on Thursday, 5-8. Lots of people were there. It was my first time there so I can't compare the attendance rate to other hours with paying visitors. I would go back during non-free hours and pay $18(or $12 for students) a person to wander about in that glorious piece of building. It was awesome. It was so amazing. We wandered around for the entire three hours, even after trudging through cold, slick Chicago for a little while. If we hadn't been so tired, and if the place hadn't been closing, we probably could have gone all night. You know what, yes, I would live in there. I would live there. Seriously. Can I? Pwease?

I'm trying to think of my favorite sections of the place to spout off about, but they were all so spectacular (the ones we had time to get to) that I don't even know where to begin, much less which to pick. I really liked the Egyptian exhibit, but we didn't look at that for too long. I was way into ancient Egypt when I was in elementary (and continued to, well, apparently today still but without the researching xD). It was so neat to finally see what I had studied forever ago in a case right in front of me. I suppose that was my favorite in the sense of tradition, but I really liked the sculptures.

There was a section labeled "Neoclassicism" and it had my favorite statues. There was one that I can't remember the name of that was a marble bust of a lady in a sheer gown(?) and crown. I think the name started with an H but I can't remember and can't find it in my notes for some reason. ---Nevermind, I found it! Ginevra! By Samuel Rodgers! Yay! I'll add a photo later.

I went to go straighten my sister's hair and I forgot where I was in this line of thought. Meh. Anyway, it's just a really awesome place and I hope to go back there as soon as possible. I recommend that you visit there if you get the chance. It's awesome. It gives you so much to think about as you wander and look at the great pieces. It's amazing. Woo. /cheer

Have you been to a museum that made you want to move in and sleep on the benches?

No comments:

Post a Comment